Kochi : The Kerala High Court on Wednesday said that land grab allegations against former Transport Minister Thomas Chandy cannot be sustained based on documents produced so far. And hence there is no need to charge a case against him, it observed.
The court was hearing 2 petitions filed by Panchayat member Vinod and CPI leader Mukundan, before disposing the same.
The court has however said fresh surveys should be completed in three months time following which the arguments pertaining to the allegations could be heard again.
Disappointed with the ruling in favour of Chandy, the petitioners have said they will approach Supreme Court in the matter.
The revenue department stated it will proceed to complete the survey meanwhile.
A report prepared by Alappuzha district collector earlier showed portions of Marthandam lake as encroached by Thomas Chandy for his private resort. The allegation was based on the fact that the area now in the premises of the resort do not feature in the survey as it lay submerged in water, a pointer to land reclamation illegally.