Following rape accusation, the soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo, has been left out of Portugal’s squad for upcoming friendlies against Poland and Scotland.
Portugal is set take on Poland on 11 October and Scotland three days later.
Ronaldo is accused of raping a woman, Kathryn Mayorga, in a Las Vegas hotel room in 2009. Her suit says he raped her while she repeatedly screamed “no” and “stop” several times.
Back then, Mayorga says, the 33-year–old star took advantage of her fragile emotional state and coerced her into signing a settlement and nondisclosure agreement in 2009. She claims to have received $3,75,000 in exchange for her silence. She filed a suit on Friday, 29 Sept, to render the agreement void.
Las Vegas police said on Monday, they have reopened the criminal investigation last month.
Ronaldo denied allegations and in a live Instagram post on Friday said the woman’s claims to be fake.
In a more vehement denial and irk over the scandal he later said “Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in. Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.”
Mayorga’s lawyer said she was emboldened to speak out because of the #MeToo movement.