The Keralites are preparing to welcome Onam 2021 in abundance even during the COVID 19 season. Despite the Covid surge, Malayalees never forget to prepare the feast, pookkalam decorations, and also to purchase the Onakkodi.
Onam special Thali includes a variety of dishes and among the Onam sadhya,’ payasam’ will always be the center of attraction. No feast in Kerala is complete without a bowl of thick payasam. A wide variety of payasam has been prepared during the special occasion and it is the showstopper of Onam sadhya.
Here are some kinds of payasam that you can cook at home to make your Onam extra sweet and tasty.
Mambazha Payasam is a mango payasam recipe that is a healthy and nutritious dessert made from ripe mangoes, jaggery, ginger, spices, and of course the goodness of milk and dry fruits and nuts.
- To begin making the Mango Payasam Recipe, in a mixer-jar blend 1 cup of milk along with the ripe mangoes, jaggery, cardamom powder, ginger powder to make a smooth puree. Keep aside.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, add in the remaining milk and the washed, and drained rice and give it a brisk boil. Once it comes to a boil, turn the heat to low and simmer the mixture, stirring frequently until the rice is cooked and soft. This process will take a good 25-30 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, add in the mango mixture and stir to combine the ingredients well. Simmer the payasam for another 10 minutes until you get the flavors from the condensing milk. Check for sweetness, add more jaggery if required.
- Finally heat a tablespoon of ghee in a small pan, on low heat roast the cashew nuts until lightly browned. Once browned, add in the raisins and roast for a few more seconds. Add this to the above Mango Payasam.
- Transfer the Mango Payasam to a serving bowl. You can serve this hot or cold for the Onam festival along with your Onam sadya meal.
- Ingredients include- ½ liters milk 250 gms, sugar 2 tbsp, ghee, 250 dates (pitted and cut into small pieces), 50 gms almonds, 1 tsp cardamom powder, Chopped almonds (for garnish).
- Preparation: Boil milk and sugar first.Turn off the flame when the milk thickens up and reduces to 1 liter.
- Heat ghee in an uruli and saute the dates into it.
- Add the almond paste and mix well. Now add the thickened milk and mix well.
- Allow this mixture to boil well and finally sprinkle some cardamom powder and chopped almonds.
Beetroot has a pretty pink color which makes everyone fall for it. Preparation of beetroot payasam along with semiya content gives it additional flavor.
- In a pan add the ghee, roast the cashew nuts and raisins till golden brown and remove from the pan.
- In the same pan add the grated beetroot and cook till the raw smell leaves. Remove from the pan and allow it to cool down. In a blender add the beetroot along with 2 tbsp of milk and grind it to a fine puree.
- In the same pan add in the vermicelli and roast for 2 mins in low flame. Next add in the Milk and cook till the vermicelli is cooked completely.
- After that add the beetroot puree and Sugar to the pan.
- Mix well and cook in a low flame for 5 mins. Add in the Cardamom powder and ghee roasted cashews and raisins and switch off the stove. Beetroot vermicelli payasam is now ready.