The function for giving awards for players in various sports is to be conducted soon in the country. A panel of 12 members committee has been constituted by Union Sports Ministry for selecting the awardees.
The national sports awards are given away every year on August 29, the birth anniversary of hockey icon Dhyan Chand. This time, a 12 member selection committee will be mandated to select awardees for Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award, Dronacharya Awards, Arjuna Awards, Dhyan Chand awards, Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar, and Maulana Abul Kalam Azad trophy.
This year, both Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics will be taken into consideration and the number of awardees could go up. The selection committee will be chaired by retired Supreme Court judge Justice Mukundakam Sharma. Here are the other 11 members of the committee:
- Anjali Bhagwat (shooting)
- Venkatesh Prasad (Cricket)
- Savita Devi (Boxing)
- Baldev Singh (Hockey coach)
- Devendra Jhajharia (Para-athletics)
- Anjum Chopra, journalist, and commentator
- Vikrant Gupta, journalist, and commentator
- Vijay Lokapally, journalist and commentator
- Sandip Pradhan, Director General, Sports Authority of India
- Radhika Sreeman, Executive Director (Teams), SAI
- Atul Singh, Joint Secretary (Development)