The prestigious Kerala State Film Awards 2020 has been announced on October 16 and the results were declared by Saji Cheriyan, minister of Kerala Film Development Corporation, and Chalachitra Academy. ‘Great Indian Kitchen’ directed by Geo Baby and starring Nimisha Sajayan and Suraj Venjaramoodu in the lead role received the award for best film. Jayasurya and Anna ben won the best actors award and both won awards for their performances in ‘Chapel’ and ‘Water’ respectively.
The award winners were selected by a panel of the jury headed by Suhasini. Around 80 films that were released in 2020 have competed for the State Film Awards and the competition was tight. Along with Suhasini, the State Award jury of this year consisted of several popular names including senior filmmaker Bhadran, popular Kannada director P Sheshadri, music director Mohan Sithara, cinematographer CK Muraleedharan, sound designer M Harikumar, and critic and screenwriter N Sasidharan.
Here are the other award winners:
- Best Director – Sidharth for the movie ‘Ennivar’
- Best Second Film – Thinkalazhcha Nishchayam (Zanna Hegde)
- Best Character Actor – Sudheesh. He won the award for his performance in Ennivar, Bhoomiyile Manohara Swakaryam.
- Best Debut Director: Muhammad Musthafa (Kappela)
- Best Character Actress – Sreerekha (Veyil)
- Best Music Director – M Jayachandran
- Best Story – Zenn Hegde
- Best Cinematography – Chandru Selvaraj (Kayattam)
- Best popular movie –‘Ayyppanum Koshiyum’ directed by Sachy
- Best debutant director – Musthafa (‘Kappela’)