The year 2021 was an incredible year especially in the field of sports and games as there were numerous record-breaking moments that occurred during this year. we take a look at the top 5 football records that have been broken in 2021:
- Longest unbeaten run in international football: A new record has been formed in terms of the same was scripted on the international platform. Italy has managed to be on a 37-game unbeaten run in the year 2021. UEFA also won the Euro this year under Roberto Mancini, beating Brazil and Spain on record before the end of October.
- Highest goal-scorer from South America: Lionel Messi surpassed Pele as the undisputed highest goalscorer in South America. The Argentinian now has 80 goals, three more than Pele’s 77 goals.
- Most goals in a league tournament: The list again has been taken by Messi. He has scored 474 goals in La Liga to date. It is the most in a single league tournament to date by any player. He has again gone past Pele in this, as the Brazilian scored 468 in the Brazilian Series A. However, the Argentinian had to leave Barcelona this summer to join PSG, ending his illustrious run in Spain.
- Most international goals: The record-holder for the most number of goals in international football is now Christiano Ronaldo. The Manchester United striker has 115 goals to his name at the international level, as he surpassed former Iranian Ali Daei, who had scored 109.
- Most career goals: Cristiano Ronaldo has scored more than 800 goals in his career, which makes him the highest-scoring footballer in the history of the sport. He surpassed Pele to achieve the feat, who has 766 goals in his career.
The list of football records is not over here. Still there are many yet to take place and the year 2022 will be the year that is going to witness other records.